Alexandra Inn, Chapel Street, Hanky Park, Salford. (c) Neil Richardson & Tony Flynn .
This lesser-known Chapel Street in Salford used to run south off Broad Street to meet Ellor Street in the lost Hanky Park district. Halfway down on the west side was the Alexandra Inn which can be traced back to the 1830s. In 1902 Hardy's Crown Brewery bought the beerhouse and completely rebuilt it "from cellar to roof" but just 11 years later it was closed. At the 1913 brewster sessions it was decided that the Alexandra must close as it was only selling four and a half barrels of beer (cask and bottles) a week. The Alexandra Inn used to stand roughly where Whitebeam Close meets Broadwalk today.
Alexandra Inn, Chapel Street, Hanky Park, Salford. (c) Neil Richardson .
1. Salford's Pubs 1, Neil Richardson & Tony Flynn (1978).
2. Salford Pubs Part Two: Including Islington, Ordsall Lane and Ordsall, Oldfield Road, Regent Road and Broughton, Neil Richardson (2003).