Oddfellows Arms, Harrison Street, Hanky Park, Salford. (c) Neil Richardson & Tony Flynn .
Running south of Ellor Street, Harrison Street in Hanky Park boasted two beerhouses, the Dog & Partridge and the Oddfellows Arms. The Oddfellows was first recorded in 1848 and by 1896 had been bought up by Groves & Whitnall. Like many pubs in the area, it was under the threat of closure due to poor trade, and in 1908 the police tried to close it by reporting it was quieter than four nearby beerhouses. However, the Oddfellows was allowed to stay open after the landlord showed he was selling 6-7 barrels of beer a week, and it lasted until the Ellor Street clearance scheme of 1965 . The Oddfellows Arms used to stand roughly where this odd little shop is on Paddington Close today.
Former location of Oddfellows Arms, Paddington Close. (c) Google 2013. View Larger Map.
1. Salford's Pubs 1, Neil Richardson & Tony Flynn (1978).
2. Salford Pubs Part Three: Including Cross Lane, Broad Street, Hanky Park, the Height, Brindleheath, Charlestown and Weaste, Neil Richardson (2003).