White Horse, Oak Street, Pendlebury, Salford. (c) Neil Richardson & Roger Hall .
The White Horse was the smallest pub in Pendlebury, first recorded in 1836 on Oak Street, off Bolton Road. It was actually nicknamed the Oak after its street, but was so small, and unsigned, that it appears to have escaped the surveyors between the years of 1839 and 1851 as it disappeared from the records. In the later part of the century it was known as the Spinners Arms, but was the White Horse from 1888 onwards .
The White Horse had a vault to the left, a rear snug and a lounge to the right, although the bricked up door on the left suggests that the original beerhouse may have been just half this size. Sadly the White Horse lost its license in January 1937 when it was a Worsley Brewery house - the brewery lost a number of pubs at this time. Slum clearance of Oak Street, Back Oak Street and union Street saw the old boozer demolished in 1939 .
Former location of White Horse, Oak Street. (c) Google 2014. View Larger Map.
The former location of the White Horse / Oak / Spinners Arms was opposite Sackville & Swallow's dyeworks, now known as Swinton Electroplating, at the top end of the remaining Oak Street. This is just down the road from the still-serving Royal Oak, the oldest remaining pub in Pendlebury.
1. The Pubs of Swinton and Pendlebury, Neil Richardson & Roger Hall (1980).