Irwell Castle, Whit Lane, salford. (c) Neil Richardson .
The Irwell Castle stood on the corner of Franklin Street and Whit Lane in Salford, first appearing in the records in 1861. By the start of the twentieth century the beerhouse belonged to the Worsley Brewery Company of Swinton, passing to Walkers Brewery of Warrington in the 1920s. Before the Irwell Castle closed in the early 1970s it had passed to Tetley's , as shown here [1,2]. The former location of the Irwell Castle was roughly where Whit Lane used to run, to the west of where Britannia Street is marked on today's map.
Irwell Castle, Whit Lane, . (c) Neil Richardson, Tony Flynn, Alan Gall .
1. Salford Pubs Part Three: Including Cross Lane, Broad Street, Hanky Park, the Height, Brindleheath, Charlestown and Weaste, Neil Richardson (2003).
2. Salford's Pubs 4, Neil Richardson, Tony Flynn, Alan Gall (1980).