Griffin, York Street, Chorlton-on-Medlock. (c) Bob Potts .
The Griffin Inn stood on the corner Boundary Street East and York Street, just off Grosvenor Street in Chorlton-on-Medock. It opened in 1857 as the York Minster (listed as such in the 1871 census) and lasted until 1970 . Pictured above as a Bass Brewery house, it was also previously under the ownership of Ratcliff & Gretton brewery . Both this stretch of York Street and Boundary Street East are still in existence today, and the former location of the old Griffin / York Minster is opposite two more recently closed York Street pubs - Korumba and Scubar / Green McNally's / Old Steam Brewery.
Former location of the Griffin / York Minster (right), York Street. (c) Google 2014. View Larger Map.
1. The Old Pubs of Chorlton-upon-Medlock, Bob Potts (1980).
2. The Old Pubs of Hulme & Chorlton -on-Medlock, Bob Potts (1997).