The Crown & Volunteer was a Joseph Holt's house that was rebuilt in 1938 to replace the original pub which had been demolished a year earlier. The pub dates back to 1869 and in the 1880s was headquarters of the exciting-sounding Eccles Linnean Botanical Society, and Eccles Harriers would start their 6-mile opening run of the season at the Crown & Volunteer.
Crown & Volunteer, Church Street, 1978. (c) Tony Flynn .
The Crown & Volunteer was described as a small and lively house in the 1980s, with a smart lounge and basic bar. Sadly the Crown & Volunteer closed in the mid-late 2000s and has been converted to a business premises, which itself were last seen up for sale.
Former Crown & Volunteer, Church Street. (c) WT Gunson.
The inside of the old Crown & Volunteer remains remarkably pub-like, despite the IAS Services office layout, with its old wooden and etched glass doors and bar areas retained.
Inside the former Crown & Volunteer, Church Street. (c) WT Gunson.