Falstaff Hotel, Bedford Street, Hulme. (c) Bob Potts .
The Sir John Falstaff (named after the Shakespearean character) opened in 1842 at No.42 Bedford Street on the corner with Clopton Street, Hulme, later under the Manchester Brewery . The fully-licensed pub became the Falstaff Hotel and passed to Walker & Homfray before closing in 1963 . A replacement estate pub was built next to St Wilfrids Church on St Wilfrids Street, a street which replaced Bedford Street in the first Hulme regeneration.
Falstaff, St Winifrids Street, Hulme. (c) Alan Winfield with permisson.
1. The Old Pubs of Hulme & Chorlton-on-Medlock, Bob Potts (1997).
2. The Old Pubs of Hulme Manchester (1) 1770-1930, Bob Potts (1983).