Oddfellows Arms, Every Street, Ancoats. (c) Manchester Local Image Collection. Click here to view full image .
This building on the corner of Harding Street and Every Street was the old Oddfellows Arms. By the time it was photographed by T Brooks in 1964 , it had closed under Walkers & Homfray brewery in the 1950s. The building retained its W&H tiling on the ground floor and the cellar door where barrels of beer would be rolled down could be seen at the pavement level. The Oddfellows Arms had opened in 1858 and the landlord when it closed, Thomas Fitton, lived in the old boozer for years afterwards . Nothing of note stands on this corner today, which is diagonally opposite the All Souls Church.
Former location of Oddfellows Arms, Every Street. (c) Google 2014. View Larger Map.
2. The Old Pubs of Ancoats, Neil Richardson (1987).