George Hotel, Booth Street East, Chorlton-on-Medlock. (c) Bob Potts .
The George Hotel stood at No.54 Booth Street East, just off Oxford Road, opening in 1859 and closing in 1971 under Threlfalls Brewery. According to former landlord, Bill Gallagher (who later had the still-serving Gorse Hill in Stretford), the pub was known by Threlfalls employees as the 'Booth Street House' as they had a number of pubs called the George . The University has expanded over the old site of the George Hotel.
1. The Old Pubs of Chorlton-upon-Medlock Manchester, Bob Potts (1984).