White Lion, Bangor Street, Hulme, 1966. (c) Bob Potts .
The White Lion opened on the corner of Mackworth Street and Bangor Street, off Upper Moss Lane, in Hulme in 1855 . It's pictured above in 1966, smashed up and derelict like the streets around it as they waited for the Hulme redevelopments to start. The White Lion had closed the year before as a Groves & Whitnall house (Red Rose Ales), having previously been owned by William Dockray of the Chorlton Road Brewery, who'd sold his pubs to the larger brewery . The old location of the White Lion is roughly where the corner of Nash Street and Yew Street is in today's vastly changed Hulme.
Former location of White Lion, Yew Street. (c) Google 2014. View Larger Map.
1. The Old Pubs of Hulme & Chorlton-on-Medlock, Bob Potts (1997).
2. The Old Pubs of Hulme Manchester (1) 1770-1930, Bob Potts (1983).