Bridge Inn, City Road, Hulme. (c) Bob Potts .
Opening in 1847 at No.324 City Road  the Bridge Inn is pictured above in 1902 . It was on the corner of a tiny street, Brook Side, and City Road and backed onto the old St George's Cavalry Barracks, which later became the recreation ground and is now St George's Park. Groves & Whitnall owned the Bridge Inn when it closed in 1957 . The old Bridge Inn was on the same trajectory as Nancy Street to the north west, so its old location is roughly as shown below on City Road. This photo from 1958 shows the site of the old Bridge Inn, which hasn't changed much in almost five decades.
Former location of Bridge Inn, City Road. (c) Google 2014. View Larger Map.
1. The Old Pubs of Hulme & Chorlton-on-Medlock, Bob Potts (1997).
2. The Old Pubs of Hulme Manchester (1) 1770-1930, Bob Potts (1983).