Red Lion, Pimlot Street, Hanky Park, Salford, 1960s. (c) Sue Richardson at North Manchester CAMRA .
The Red Lion beerhouse stood next to the Old House at Home in Hanky Park, Salford, opening in the 1850s. It was on the corner of Raven Street and Pimlot Street and was firstly an Altrincham Brewery house before Chesters Brewery acquired it in the 1890s. The Red Lion survived police efforts to close it down, who stated that it wasn't need as there were 43 other licensed premises within 300 yards. However, Chesters argued that they'd renovated it and trade was good, so the Red Lion survived until 1963. It had been included in the Ellor Street No.3 clearance area and was served a compulsory purchase order in 1959 . The Red Lion stood approximately where the Broadwalk PRU school is today.
Red Lion (right) & Old House at Home (left), Pimlot Street. (c) Sue Richardson at North Manchester CAMRA .
2. Salford Pubs Part Three: Including Cross Lane, Broad Street, Hanky Park, the height, Brindleheath, Charlestown and Weaste, Neil Richardson (2003).