Hare & Hounds, Broad Street, Salford. (c) Tony Flynn .
The Hare & Hounds can be traced back to 1788 and stood on the north side of Broad Street, just east of Hanksinson Street. By the 1890s it was, rather unusually for Salford, owned by J. G. Sykes, a Liverpool liquor merchant and he sold it to Higsons Brewery, the famous Liverpudlian brewers . The above photo shows the Hare & Hounds on the left with the shire horses of the Salford Royal Hospital procession . The Hare & Hounds closed in 1959 and licensee, Stanley Ogden, described his pub as having five rooms along Broad Street, with low arched-roof cellars beneath them. He also described the rear as having a wide entrance and bow windows and reckoned that this was once the front of the pub . The buildings next to the old Hare & Hounds are still there today.
Former location of Hare & Hounds, Broad Street. (c) Google 2014. View Larger Map.
1. Hanky Park, Tony Flynn (1990).
2. Salford Pubs Part Three: Including Cross Lane, Broad Street, Hanky Park, the height, Brindleheath, Charlestown and Weaste, Neil Richardson (2003).