Nags Head, Wythenshawe Road, Sale Moor. (c) Trafford Council. Click here to view full image .
The Nags Head on the corner of Northenden Road and Wythenshawe Road in Sale Moor was built in the late 18th or early 19th century as a private dwelling. It became a public house in 1869 and was extended on the Northenden Road side to the right by owners Groves & Whitnall, as shown above in the 1880s. There were three separate drinking rooms and for a time the kitchen was used as another drinking room . There is another photo at the Trafford Council archives of the Nags Head circa 1900 .
Former Nags Head, Wythenshawe Road. (c) Google 2014. View Larger Map.
Remarkably, part of the old Nags Head appears to be still standing today, having reverted back to use as a private house. The 19th century extension and the addition down Wythenshawe Road to the left have obviously been removed (the latter to make room for housing), but the central part of the building looks suspiciously like the old Nags Head - even the new windows on the cottage seem to have been faithful reproduction of the pub's.