Grey Horse, Hankinson Street, Hanky Park, Salford. (c) Tony Flynn .
The Grey Horse Inn was the first beerhouse to open on Hankinson Street in 1830 after the Beerhouse Act was passed. This was when Hankinson Street only ran off Broad Street as far down as Primrose Hill, and the Grey Horse was at No.6 on the corner of what was later Newton Street. There was a brewhouse with its six-barrel copper pan, sixty 30- and 18-gallon barrels and Kent and Herefordshire hops up for sale in 1867. By the time the police decided the Grey Horse was no longer needed in 1910, Walker & Homfray owned the beerhouse and were duly compensated . The house on the right in the above photo is No.6 Hankinson Street which was rebuilt after the beerhouse had closed . The photographer would have been on Broad Street looking down Hankinson; a very different view is had today.
1. Hanky Park, Tony Flynn (1990).
2. Salford Pubs Part Three: Including Cross Lane, Broad Street, Hanky Park, the height, Brindleheath, Charlestown and Weaste, Neil Richardson (2003).