Mount Tavern, Mount Street, Adelphi, Salford. (c) Neil Richardson .
The Mount Tavern was originally a house next to a brickmaking works on Mount Street that was converted to a beerhouse in about 1849. When the Mount Tavern was auctioned off in 1862 its list of contents included chandeliers and brasses, as well as the usual loose and fixed seating, glassware and pewter. The brickworks expanded in the 1880s and the original beerhouse was lost so a new one was built on the corner of Richardson Street and Mount Street, possibly by Kay's Atlas Brewery, in 1891. Pictured outside the new tavern in the 1890s are the Pierce family who ran it until the 1920s. Robinsons Brewery of Stockport took the Mount Tavern in 1929 but it received direct hit from the Germans on 2/6/1941 (the same raid that damaged Salford Royal Hospital), and the pub was declared unfit and so was closed for good . A small stretch of Richardson Street still exists today and where it used to meet Mount Street is where the old boozer stood.
Former location of Mount Tavern, Mount Street. (c) Google 2012. View Larger Map.
1. Salford Pubs Part One: Including the Old Town, Chapel Street, Greengate and the Adelphi, Neil Ricardson (2003).