Pictured here 100 years ago in the late Neil Richardson's book , the Moulders Arms dated back to 1845 when it opened on the corner of Arlington Street and Cannon Street in the Adelphi area of old Salford. Around the turn of the century, Walkers of Warrington bought the Moulders and extended it into the shop next door. As you can see from the photo, the part of the beerhouse was below street level which happened when the gradient of Cannon Street was altered. The Moulders Arms closed in 1957 and was demolished as a victim of the St Matthias slum clearance order . Arlington Street and Cannon Street still run through Salford today, the old site of the Moulders being at the top of Arlington in front of St Matthias Court flats (Adelphi Court in the background, below).
Former location of Moulders Arms, Cannon Street. (c) Google 2012. View Larger Map.
1. Salford Pubs Part One: The Old Town, including Chapel Street, Greengate, and the Adelphi, Neil Richardson (2003).