Horse & Jockey, Broad Street, Salford. (c) Salford Pubs of the 70s at flickr .
The Horse & Jockey stood on Broad Street opposite St Thomas's Church in Pendleton, Salford, opening in the 1830s. By 1873 there was a brewhouse at the Horse & Jockey, advertising ales in 6, 9 and 18-gallon casks for sale to punters. Fulford & Co. at the Empress Brewery leased the beerhouse and expanded it to include a new parlour, a vault and a bar, but by 1903 the Horse & Jockey was entirely rebuilt .
Walkers of Warrington acquired all Empress's houses in the 1920s, and the Horse & Jockey remained under walkers until it had passed to Tetley's when it was closed and demolished in 1971 . The scene below from Broad Street shows the view which would have been had from the Horse & Jockey before the road widening around here - the pub in the shadow of St Thomas's is the still surviving Church Inn.
Former location of Horse & Jockey, Broad Street (Church Inn in the background). (c) Google 2012. View Larger Map.
2. Salford Pubs Part Three: Including Cross Lane, Broad Street, Hanky Park, the Height, Brindleheath, Charlestown and Weaste, Neil Ricahardson (2003).