This Albert Park Inn (not to be confused with the estate pub of the same name that opened on nearby Great Clowes Street in 1983), can be traced back to 1858 when the Eagle Inn beerhouse opened on Duke Street, which ran between Sussex Street to Camp Street. When the Eagle was enlarged it was renamed in 1876 or '77 after the new park which had just opened nearby. In the 1930s the Albert Park Inn passed from Taylor's Eagle Brewery to Marston's - it was quite unusual for the Burton brewery to own a pub in these parts. The Albert Park was demolished in 1977 along with all the properties around it, and this part of Lower Broughton is looking fairly smart these days.
Former location of Albert Park Inn, Duke Street, Lower Broughton. (c) Google 2012. View Larger Map.