The Shakespeare opened on the corner of Renshaw Street and Stretford Road in 1842 and was a Stopford Brewery house before Walker & Homfray took it . It closed in 1967 as a Wilsons house , typical of the style with its whitewashed frontage. Since the regeneration of Hulme in the 1970s, Renshaw Street has been known as Epping Street, and the site of the old Shakespeare is these rather grim box-flats near the Hulme Arch.
Former location of the Shakespeare, Stretford Road, Hulme. (c) Google 2012. View Larger Map.
2. The Old Pubs of Hulme Manchester 1770-1930, Bob Potts (1983).