A lost pub on a lost street, the Gardener's Arms stood on the corner of Pendleton Street and Pump Street in the Charlestown area of Salford. It can be traced back to 1838 and the first brewery to own it was Issott's Brewery of Ardwick, in 1894. By then some of Pendleton Street was already disappearing to make way for Cromwell Road, and in the early 1900s, Wilsons Brewery took the Gardener's leasehold. They owned the boozer by 1926 and gave it the classic Wilsons cement render and 'Sign of Quality' draughtboard sign, as seen above in the 1950s but which disappeared in the '60s. The Gardener's Arms closed in 1973 as part of the Whit Lane compulsory purchase order .
Gardener's Arms, Pendleton Street, Charlestown, 1972. (c) Salford Pubs of the 70s at flickr .
1. Salford Pubs Part Three: Including Cross Lane, Broad Street, Hanky Park, the Height, Brindleheath, Charlestown and Weaste, Neil Richardson (2003).