Pubs of Manchester

All pubs within the city centre and beyond.
A history of Manchester's hundreds of lost pubs.

Sunday, 16 September 2012

Clarence Hotel, Whit Lane

Clarence Hotel, Whit Lane, Salford, 1973. (c) Salford Pubs of the 70s at flickr [1].

This pub was on the corner of Enys Street and Whit Lane and started out as a beerhouse attached to a brewery on Suspension Road (now known as Gerald Road) in the 1830s.  Originally the Whit Lane Tavern, it was then renamed the Church Inn when St George's Church opened in the 1850s.  In 1883 the beerhouse was replaced by the Clarence Hotel and it was granted its full licence in 1886.  Threlfalls Brewery took over soon after and it passed to Whitbread before it was demolished in the mid-1970s [2].  The appoximate location of the Clarence Hotel was here on the small lower stretch of Whit Lane that still survives.

1. www.flickr.com/photos/61756486@N05.
2. Salford Pubs Part Three: Including Cross Lane, Broad Street, Hanky Park, the Height, Brindeheath, Charlestown and Weaste, Neil Richardson (2003).

1 comment: