Tucked away on Back Borough Street off Whit Lane when this street used to run all the way down to Broughton Road / Cromwell Road, the Bird In Hand beerhouse opened in about the 1840s. It was bought by Cardwells Brewery and passed to Wilsons when they bought up the smaller brewery and its pubs in 1899. The Bird In Hand had a different Wilsons frontage to most of its pubs as it was hidden away behind the Whit Lane shops. It had a its sign above the door angled so that it could be seen by passers-by on Borough Street. Like most pubs in this part of Charlestown, it was lost in 1973 following the clearances .
1. Salford Pubs Part Three: Including Cross Lane, Broad Street, Hanky Park, the Height, Brindleheath, Charlestown and Weaste, Neil Richardson (2003).