Irwell Inn, East Robert Street, Salford. (c) Neil Richardson .
Bridgewater Street and Springfield Lane still run through this part of old Salford near the River Irwell, and in the past, East Robert Street linked them, running along the river bank, just north of where East Philip Street is today. On the corner of Bridgewater Street and East Robert Street, the Irwell Inn opened in about 1857 as a large beerhouse and provision shop. Groves & Whitnall had the Irwell Inn by the 1890s and it lasted until 1966. The Irwell Inn in pictured in 1929 under landlord Thomas Leach .
Former location of Irwell Inn, East Robert Street. (c) Google 2012. View Larger Map.