Pubs of Manchester

All pubs within the city centre and beyond.
A history of Manchester's hundreds of lost pubs.

Sunday, 22 July 2012

Duke of Edinburgh, Tatton Street

Duke of Edinburgh, Tatton Street, Ordsall, 1927. (c) Salford Pubs oft the 70s at flickr [2].

The Duke of Edinburgh opened as a beerhouse in the 1860s but it soon gained full public house status when the licence of the Polytechnic Tavern on Greengate was transferred here.  Threlfalls had taken over the pub by the 1880s and the Duke of Edinburgh stood here on the corner of Oxford Street and Tatton Street until it was demolished due to Ordsall redevelopments in 1971 [2].  These days Tatton Street is much shorter then it was originally and the site of the old Duke of Edinburgh was roughly where it ends today.

Former location of Duke of Edinburgh, Tatton Street. (c) Google 2012. View Larger Map.

2. Salford Pubs Part Two: Including Islington, Ordsall and Ordsall Lane, Oldfield Road, Regent Road and Broughton, Neil Richardson (2003).

No comments:

Post a Comment