This fine-looking building still stands at the end of Ford Lane on the corner with Broughton Road. The Crown & Maypole Inn opened in 1825 and was shortened to the Maypole by 1850. In 1875 a new, grander Maypole was built next to the original two-storey pub, probably by the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway who passed their Hindley and Wigan line underneath the old pub. Manchester Brewery then Wilsons Brewery leased the Maypole from the railway company until it became a Bass house in the 1970s. As much of old Pendleton was flattened for "improvements", the pub's trade fell away and it closed in the early 1990s. The Centric pub company gave it a go in 1993 but a year later the Maypole closed for good .
Former Maypole, Ford Lane, Salford. (c) Google 2011. View Larger Map.
1. Salford Pubs - Part Three: Including Cross Lane, Broad Street, Hanky Park, the Height, Brindleheath, Charlestown and Weaste, Neil Richardson (2003).