Clowes Hotel, Trafford Road, Orsdall, 1974. (c) NAH1952 at flickr.
This famous old landmark pub stood on Trafford Road at the junction with Broadway in Ordsall. Although sadly knocked down in 1985, the Clowes Hotel, it is remembered by many as a haunt of sailors and dockers and their associated ladies of the night. The Clowes was built in 1869 as a new hotel serving this area close to the racecourse and the newly opened Trafford Road Bridge which linked Orsdall to Chester Road, Old Trafford. In the early 20th century it was still a freehouse offering Worthington's, Bass and McEwan's ale before it was bought by Walkers & Homfray, passing to Wilsons Brewery in the 1950s. As the surrounding area was demolished in clearance initiatives, the Clowes remained standing and survived until 1984, a year before its final demise .
Clowes Hotel,. Trafford Road, Ordsall, (c) Salford_66 at flickr.
1. Salford Pubs - Part Two: Including Islington, Ordsall Lane and Ordsall, Oldfield Road, Regent Road and Broughton, Neil Richardson (2003).