Duchy Inn, Brindleheath Road, Salford. (c) Google 2011. View Larger Map.
The Duchy Inn sits on the corder of Brindleheath Road and the forgotten Laundry Street, off Broad Road in Salford. It's sadly derelict with its roof half-missing and looking ripe for demolition. The beerhouse opened in 1863 and by the end of the century was owned by Groves & Whitnall. The beerhouse and neighbouring shop were rebuilt by the brewery and in 1930, the shop which had by now become a hairdressers, was incorporated into the Duchy . Despite most of this part of Salford being subject to the Brindleheath compulsory purchase scheme, the pub was spared and continued trading until the 2000's. The small, pleasant-looking new-build estate over the road from the Duchy clearly wasn't enough to keep the pub going.
1. Salford Pubs - Part Three: Including Cross Lane, Broad Street, Hanky Park, the Height, Brindleheath, Charlestown and Weaste, Neil Richardson (2003).