Across the road from the Grapes Inn on John Street, Ancoats was a brewery, first recorded in 1838 known as Runcorn Brewery operated by James and Richard Hamer. It brewed for 20 years until the brothers left and advertised a brewery with house attached "which may be used as dwelling or beerhouse". Brewing probably ceased but the Runcorn Brewery Inn was born and was a beerhouse until 1893 before being demolished a few years later. St Alban's School was then built on this site (address Fawcett Street), and this mixed English, Irish and Italian Roman Catholic school seems to have lasted until around the 1970s when the retail park was planned.
St Alban's School, Ancoats, 1933. (c) www.ancoatslittleitaly.com/page5.html.
1. The Old Pubs of Ancoats, Neil Richardson (1987).