The Crown was still standing on Mill Street in Ancoats in the 1980s, a modern Wilsons keg-only estate pub that had replaced the beerhouse of the same name on the corner of Kirby Street . When Alan Winfield visited in 1992, John Smiths keg was on offer rather than Wilsons. The original Crown opened in about 1860 and the closure of the new Crown must have been some time in the 1990s. Angela Massey used to live at the Crown when it had been incorporated into the Cardroom Estate, like the nearby Cob O' Coal down Cardroom Road .
Ancoats and Ardwick Hospital, Old Mill Street, Ancoats. (c) Aidan O'Rourke.
The site of the Crown is the corner of Old Mill Street and Cardroom Road (then Kirby Street) where the concrete foundations are, diagonally opposite the old Ancoats and Ardwick Hospital which is being converted into flats. On the other corner of Mill Street would have been St Jude's Church, as detailed on the Manchester History site.