The Globe originally stood on Regent Road on the corner of Crowther Street before the thoroughfare was widened and the nearby Regent Flats built in the 1930s. The old Globe was first licensed in 1843 and the Manchester Brewery owned it until 1933. Then the Salford Corporation bought it and the Brewery (a subsidiary of Walker & Homfray's) was given £6,000 to demolish then rebuild the Globe in line with the new Regent Road. In the 1950s the Globe was a Wilsons house and they then sold it to Burtonwood in 1980 .
Park Royal, Regent Road, Salford, 1990. (c) deltrems at flickr.
In the '80s the Salford University Student's Union took over the pub and renamed in the Park Royal, the pub reopening in January 1985. Typically, the students turned the traditional pub's vault into a games room, and the enterprise mustn't have been a great success as the Park Royal was boarded up by the mid-1988 . The pub remained closed for 6 more years before being demolished to make way for the Shell petrol station between Ordsall Lane and Oldfield Road.
Former location of Globe, Park Royal, Regent Road. (c) googlemaps.
1. Salford Pubs - Part Two: Including Islington, Ordsall Lane and Ordsall, Oldfield Road, Regent Road and Broughton, Neil Richardson (2003).