The Sherwood was situated on Statham Walk off Hanworth Close in the Brunswick Estate of Chorlton-on-Medlock. This may not mean much to many except keen taxi drives, so to clarify, it was just off Downing Street and the Mancunian Way, a hundred yards north west of the Kings Arms. The pub is shown as a Wilsons house in 1969 with the new University building going up in the background, and in 1971 and twice in 1973, after a paint job. It wasn't always situated in the Brunswick Estate, as the estate was only created in the 1960s. Before then the pub was sited on Temple Street on the corner of Back Rusholme Road, as seen in this 1959 photo. In 1954 the pub was kept by a George Ferris . While the houses surrounding were all cleared, the Sherwood remained to serve the new estate as that was then built around it. The practice of clearing estates while leaving pubs standing, dotted about amongst the rubble, was quite a common site in the inner city at the time. No idea when the Sherwood was eventually demolished but the googlemap shots suggest it might have been reasonably recently.
Former location of the Sherwood, Stathan Walk. (c) googlemaps.