Ellesmere Inn, Liverpool Road, Patricroft. (c) Tony Flynn .
The first Ellesmere Inn on Liverpool Road stood on the corner of Ellesmere Street in Patricroft and was originally called the Rob Roy. It opened at some point before 1872 and served for about a century before being demolished in 1965. Its replacement estate-style pub opened in May 1966, set back off the main Liverpool Road , still close to the Black Boy. The top end of Ellesmere Street was lost during this redevelopment , but the new Ellesmere Inn has since closed too.
Former location of Ellesmere Inn, Liverpool Road. (c) Google 2015. View Larger Map.
1. A History of the Pubs of Eccles, Tony Flynn (1982).