Former Elephant, Green Street, 1970. (c) David Lewis at archivesplus flickr at Creative Commons .
The pub that once stood on the corner of Tib Street and Green Street has been known as the Dumfries & Galloway Arms, Sherwood Inn, Albion Mills Tavern, Anglers Tavern and lastly the Elephant. Pictured here in July 1970, the Elephant was a distant memory already.
Former Elephant, Green Street, 1970. (c) David Lewis at archivesplus flickr under Creative Commons .
Green Street used to link Tib Street and Oak Street, but since the building of the odd little city centre council housing estate here, it has been renamed Dorsey Street (later becoming the pedestrianised Brightwell Walk).
Dumfries & Galloway Arms, Green Street, 1849. (c) Alan Godfrey .
Dorsey Street is best known for Cord Bar on the other side of the road and the Tib Street Tavern (former Centro) faces the old location of the beerhouse. The old four-storey building has been demolished replaced with a new-build and today houses a handbag shop.
2. Manchester (New Cross) 1849, Alan Godfrey Maps (2009).