White Swan, Bolton Road, Irlams o'th' Height, Salford. (c) Neil Richardson .
A few yards further along Bolton Road from the Red Lion and lost Three Pigeons, the White Swan started out life as the Swan Inn beerhouse, first listed in 1838. By the end of the century, the White Swan was bought by Boddingtons Brewery when it was still a beerhouse comprising two cottages. The brewery built a new Tudor-effect black and white frontage with gable that included a relief sign of a swan. The White Swan lasted until 1970 when it was pulled down to be replaced by shops . In the distance past the spot where the White Swan once stood is the surviving Wellington and its neighbour, the closed Dog & Partridge.
Former location of White Swan, Bolton Road. (c) Google 2014. View Larger Map.
1. Salford Pubs Part Three: Including Cross Lane, Broad Street, Hanky Park, the Height, Brindleheath, Charlestown and Weaste, Neil Richardson (2003).