Royal Oak, Upper Wilmot Street, Hulme (97). (c) Bob Potts .
The Royal Oak was tucked away off Stretford Road on Upper Wilmot Street, on the corners of Hill (later Hillcroft) Street and Daisy Street. It was opposite a Drill Hall and right on the boundary of Hulme and Chorlton-on-Medlock (hence Boundary Lane), with nearby pubs and beerhouses including the Shakespeare Inn (100), Stretford Road Inn (105), Clynes Wine Bar (156) and Criterion (160). The Royal Oak opened in 1852 as a Taylor's Eagle house  and closed in 1964 , offering Burton Mild and Bitter as seen in 1959. Since redevelopment, Upper Wilmot Street is now part of Boundary Lane.
Royal Oak, Upper Wilmot Street, Hulme. (c) Manchester Local Image Collection. Click here to view full image .
1. The Old Pubs of Hulme and Chorlton-on-Medlock, Bob Potts (1997).
2. The Old Pubs of Hulme Manchester (1) 1770-1930, Bob Potts (1983).