Wheatsheaf, Chester Road, Stretford, 1890. (c) Trafford Council. Click here to view full image .
The Wheatsheaf was an ancient pub on the corner of Market Street and Chester Road in Stretford. Pictured above in 1890, St Matthew's Church in the background can still be seen today behind the monstrosity that is the Stretford Arndale Centre, or Stretford Mall, as it is called these days. This shopping centre was plonked on top of the historical centre of Stretford in 1969  in much the same misguided way that the Arndale Centre was foisted upon Manchester city centre. Market Street was previously known as Pool Lane, as detailed here in these drawings of the old Wheatsheaf. There have been and remain licensed premises in the vicinity of the former Wheatsheaf, including the lost Arndale clubs, Sands, Brummels and Deno's, the recently closed Green Windmill bar and the surviving O'Briens.
Former location of Wheatsheaf, Chester Road. (c) Google 2014. View Larger Map.