Old House at Home (left), Pimlot Street, Salford. (c) North Manchester CAMRA .
The Old House at Home and Red Lion were neighbouring beerhouses on Pimlot Street off Broad Street, Salford. Both opened in the 1850s, the Old House being listed in 1858 and under Groves & Whitnall ('Red Rose Ales') owned it by the 1890s. Exactly 100 years ago, the Old House was almost lost when it was considered for closure at the 1913 brewster sessions. The police claimed it was less busy that neighbouring boozers, but it was still doing over six barrels a week. It survived though, and lasted until 28th April 1963 - 'Black Sunday' 50 years ago, when so many Hanky Park and old Salford watering holes were forced to close in the clearance schemes . The old spot where the Old House stood was roughly where the Broadwalk PRU school is today.
2. Salford Pubs Part Three: including Cross Lane, Broad Street, Hanky Park, the Height, Brindleheath, Charlestown and Weaste (2003).