George & Dragon, Lower Moss Lane, Hulme. (c) Manchester Local Image Collection. Click here to view full image.
The George & Dragon opened at No.63 Lower Moss Lane on the corner with Peel Street, just off City Road, in 1841 . It was a closed Groves & Whitnall house when it was captured in a grimy 1959 photo and in a better shot from the same year. By then the George & Dragon had been shut for two years. The top end of Lower Moss Lane still runs today off Chester Road, but the stretch where the George & Dragon once stood has been lost to redevelopment of this St George's area of Hulme. Ledburn Court flats on Ledburn Close mark the spot of the old George & Dragon.
1. The Old Pubs of Hulme Manchester (1) 1770-1930, Bob Potts (1983).
2. The Old Pubs of Hulme & Chorlton-on-Medlock, Bob Potts (1997).