Horse Shoe, Broad Street, Salford. (c) Neil Richardson .
The Horse Shoe stood on the corner of Tanners Lane (later Church Street and now Pendleton Way) and Broad Street opposite Pendleton Church, and can be traced back to at least 1774. It had a bowling green and stables and was in fact known as the Horse Shoe and Bowling Green Inn from the 1820s to 1850s. The Horse Shoe later advertised "Pure home-brewed ales" from the on-site brewery, as well as Bass, Allsopp's, Dublin stout and London porter in cask and bottle .
In 1896 Threlfalls Brewery bought the Horse Shoe and built a new three-storey pub, which in 1915 was advertising a billiard's room with two tables and dining room for four-course lunches. This grand pub was lost in the 1960s when traffic flows became too much and a compulsory purchase order was issued for road widening. The Horse Shoe actually survived the 1963 CPO after the brewery argued it was doing tremendous trade. In 1965 it boasted "Salford's Palace of Variety" but it finally closed in 1969 .
1. Salford Pubs Part Three: Including Cross Lane, Broad Street, Hanky Park, the Height, Brindleheath, Charlestown and Weaste, Neil Richardson (2003).