Sharston, Altrincham Road, Sharston. (c) With permission: Northenden Old & New .
The Sharston was another of the huge Wythenshawe inter-war estate pubs built for Manchester's new "garden estate" in the 1920s. The above photo of the Wilsons house is by Mr B. G. Boyle, hosted at the excellent Northenden Old & New site with kind permission, and it's also seen here in 1955. This substation on Altrincham Road at the Sharston roundabout is still labelled the Sharston Hotel, as seen on a close-up. The Sharston has been swallowed up by the M56 Sharston bypass, which was built in 1970 and now scythes through what used to be Sharston's shopping precinct, in the distance in the below view, around the Altrincham Road-Mullacre Road junction.
Former location of Sharston, Altrincham Road. (c) Google 2012. View Larger Map.