Murrays Arms, Jersey Street, Ancoats, 1950s. (c) Neil Richardson .
The Murrays Arms was at the top of Jersey Street on the corner with Prussia Street near the canal. It opened as a fully-licensed public house in 1829 and lasted into the 1960s, when it closed as a Wilson's house . The area around the old Murrays Arms was redeveloped with the building of new council housing, so the authorities allowed the building of a new estate pub, the Jersey Lily, by Groves & Whitnall. By this time Prussia Street had become Kemp Street and the Jersey Lily was next door to where the Murrays Arms once stood . The street, the Murrays Arms and the Jersey Lily have all now been lost, leaving behind a pub-shaped scrap of wasteland.
Former location of Murrays Arms, Jersey Street. (c) Google 2013. View Larger Map.
1. The Old Pubs of Ancoats, Neil Richardson (1987).