Pubs of Manchester

All pubs within the city centre and beyond.
A history of Manchester's hundreds of lost pubs.

Saturday, 27 July 2013

Brown Cow, Woodward Street

Brown Cow, Woodward Street (looking down Butler Street), Miles Platting. (c) Mick Burke / Frank Heaton [1].

The Brown Cow, on the corner of Butler Street and Woodward Street, was originally licensed in the 1820s to the Pollard Street Brewery until Walker & Homfray took the firm over in 1929.  Mick Burke remembers the Brown Cow being frequented by the then notorious Whizz Gang from the Woodward Street area.  These were a gang of local criminals going by names such as "Flinka" (Alf Flynn - tobacco and cigarettes man) and "Reynolds" (Alfie Lacy - safe-breaker).  One Sunday night in the 1930s the Whizz Gang did over a Post Office on Ordsall Lane and nicked the safe.  Despite a huge police search it was never found, and rumour was that it had been dumped in the canal at Ten Acres Lane in Newton Heath.  The robbery was the downfall of the Whizz Gang as they were caught selling stolen stamps in the Brown Cow [1].


Brown Cow, Woodward Street, Miles Platting. (c) Neil Richardson [2].

The Brown Cow was replaced by an estate pub of the same name in the 1960s when this part of Miles Platting and Ancoats was regenerated.  This is also long-closed, with the old pub fenced off and seemingly functioning as flats.


Former location of Brown Cow, Butler Street. (c) Google 2013. View Larger Map.

1. Ancoats Lad, Mick Burke / Frank Heaton (1996).
2. The Old Pubs of Ancoats, Neil Richardson (1987).

No comments:

Post a Comment