Fox, Regent Road, Salford. (c) Neil Richardson .
The Fox Inn stood on the corner of Goodiers Lane and Regent Road and can be traced back to at least 1869. By 1901 Groves & Whitnall owned the Fox and extended it into the next door shop, but not before this improvement was objected against by the police, on the grounds that its was patronised by young men who spent most of their day in the beerhouse. They also claimed he kept an actual fox to attract customers !
The rebuilt Fox held concerts with "changes of artistes weekly", but after the war the pub was a lively with tales of legendary brawls and tables screwed to the floor. By the early 1970s the next door shop had been pulled down and the Fox was closed for good in 1976 as a Greenall Whitley house . Goodiers Lane has been lost during Ordsall redevelopments, but its name partially lives on in the form of Goodiers Drive nearby.
Former location of the Fox, Regent Road. (c) Google 2013. View Larger Map.
1. Salford Pubs Part Two: Including Islington, Ordsall Lane and Ordsall, Oldfield Road, Regent Road and Broughton, Neil Richardson (2003).