Grapes, Eccles New Road, Salford. (c) Salford Pubs of the 70s at flickr .
The Grapes Inn used to stand on the corner of Eccles New Road and a small street, misleadingly called Weaste Avenue. It was originally known as the Cemetery Inn, established in about 1865, and in the 1880s the landlord, also a retail wine and beer merchant, appears to have changed its name to the Grapes .
Former location of Grapes, Eccles New Road. (c) Crown Copyright & Landmark Information Group Ltd Old-Maps .
The great Old-Maps site allows lost streets, such as Weaste Avenue, and Leopold Street to the rear, to be traced . Go to an area of interest, select old maps from the right, and zoom in. Weaste Avenue is revealed to have been more of a ginnel than a street, leading up to Leopold Street.
The Grapes was bought by Walker & Homfray in 1895 who also bought up adjoining shops and houses, giving the beerhouse a coloured tiles front. The Grapes passed to Wilsons and the last landlord was James "Honest Jim" Doughton before its closure in 1979 and demolition in the early '80s . The still-serving Coach & Horses can be seen in the background of the site of the old Grapes.
Former location of Grapes, Eccles New Road. (c) Google 2013. View Larger Map.
2. Salford Pubs Part Three: Including Cross Lane, Broad Street, Hanky Park, the Height, Brindleheath, Charlestown and Weaste, Neil Richardson (1987).