Church Inn, St Luke Street, Chorlton-on-Medlock. (c) Bob Potts (1997).
The Church Inn on at No.33 St Luke Street, Chorlton-on-Medlock was, unsurprisingly, named after St Luke's Church. St Luke Street became Rutland Street, and the rectory next to the church was the old Chorlton Hall. The Church Inn is pictured as a Walkers of Warrington house over a century ago in 1912 in Bob Potts' book. The Church Inn closed in 1927 but years later reopened as Dick's Temperance Bar . The old location of the Church Inn / Dick's was roughly where the top end of Litcham Close is today, near the Mancunian Way. This map of the Rutland Street area shows where St Luke's Church once stood and the path of the Mancunian Way today .
Former location location of Church Inn, Rutland Street. (c) g7uk .
1. The Old Pubs of Hulme and Chorlton-on-Medlock, Bob Potts (1997).