The Duke of York was an old grocer's shop with a beer licence by 1880, before Boddington's Brewery took over in the early 1900s and it eventually became fully licensed. As part of Lower Broughton's redevelopment in the 1970s and '80s, the Duke of York was ordered to close in 1979, closed a year later and was pulled down shortly afterwards . The evocative photo above shows a horse and cart, a smartly-dressed black chap and what may be the landlord and landlady at the pub steps. Duke Street still runs through this part of Salford, but the site of the old Duke of York was just south of Lord Street (then named Victoria Street) on the east side.
2. Salford Pubs Part Two: Including Islington, Ordsall Lane and Ordsall, Oldfield Road, Regent Road and Broughton, Neil Richardson (2003).