Robin Hood, Manchester Road, Clifton, Swinton. (c) Neil Richardson & Roger Hall .
The Robin Hood on Manchester Road above the M60 is a Flaming Grill food-led pub these days but this big 1930s-build dates back to about 1739. Back then the Robin Hood farm featured the first alehouse in Clifton, but it wasn't until 1840 that the Robin Hood we see here opened - still part of a working farm but now with a brewhouse. Local organisations such as the Clifton;s Bowling Club, Football Club and Fishing Club all used the Robin Hood as their HQ. The pub was also famous for the snake it displayed in a glass cabinet. When the Worsley Brewing Company bought the Robin Hood in 1920, this led to the eventual rebuilding of the pub nearby on the bowling green the following decade .
1. The Pubs of Swinton & Pendlebury (Including Clifton and Newtown), Neil Richardson & Roger Hall (1985).