The Crown & Anchor opened on Bury Street in the old town, Salford in 1804, eventually falling under the ownership of Boddington's Brewery about a century later. In 1938 it was the only building that escaped the Bury Street slum clearance scheme . It was a fully-licensed and fine-looking three-storey house with a grand six-foot high crown and anchor stone work sign. By the time it closed in the late 1950s, the Crown & Anchor was one of only two buildings standing on Bury Street . The pub was situated just one door in from Garden Lane, which used to run south of Bury Street here, putting its former location on the left, below.
Former location of Crown & Anchor, Bury Street. (c) Google 2014. View Larger Map.
1. Salford Pubs Part One: The Old Town, including Chapel Street, Greengate and the Adelphi, Neil Richardson (2003).