Grove House, Ellor Street, Hanky Park. (c) Paul Wilson with posthumous permission.
Jacobs Well was a beerhouse on the corner of Ellor Street (bottom end) and Elizabeth Street in Hanky Park, opening in the mid-1850s. Groves & Whitnall bought Jacobs Well by 1896 and the brewery renamed the beerhouse after themselves, as Grove House. A compulsory purchase order in 1959 - presumably an early part of the Hanky Park slum clearances - saw off the Grove House in 1960. Then landlords, George and Tilly Banner, moved to the Park Inn on Tatton Street, Ordsall, which was later to become the Rovers Return .
1. Salford Pubs Part Three: Including Cross Lane, Broad Street, Hanky Park, the Height, Brindleheath, Charlestown and Weaste, Neil Richardson (2003).